Russia ukraine war live updates: Russian forces continue to pour into eastern Ukraine. Russian troops are spotted heading towards the contested Donbas region. Presidents of Latvia and Estonia are heading to Kyiv to show support for the Ukrainian people. President Vladimir Putin has warned that the situation is escalating and that there’s a chance of full-scale Russian combat. If the situation continues, China may have the biggest impact on ending the conflict.
As of Friday morning, the Russian military had not stopped launching missiles into Ukraine. Ukraine’s deputy interior minister said that the forces had not stopped the attacks. The US, however, could not verify this claim. Meanwhile, the Russian Defense Ministry said they had caused at least 800 casualties among Ukrainian troops. No further details were available. Meanwhile, CNN reported that the city of Mariupol was hit by missiles.
A Russian General has been killed in a Ukrainian strike, the defence ministry said. The Russian Army has bypassed Kherson and encircled the Ukrainian capital. According to Reuters, the strike killed Lieutenant General Yakov Rezantsev, commander of the 49th combined army of Russia’s southern military district. Despite the heavy casualties, Russian military leaders have claimed that the war is nearing its end.
A tank drove past apartment complexes in Kiev’s Obolon district. Earlier, Ukraine’s Defence Ministry confirmed the enemy’s incursion into the city and urged people to fight back. On Wednesday morning, residents of the city awoke to a second morning of bombing and bloodshed. The city has also painted red arrows to direct residents to makeshift bunkers.
U.N. officials have confirmed that at least 902 civilians have been killed and 1,459 injured in the Ukraine war. Most deaths and injuries were caused by munitions, including multiple-launch rocket systems and missiles. Some experts believe that the real toll is much higher. However, the U.N.’s monitoring team is large and the casualty report from Mariupol cannot be confirmed.
As the Russian military continues to advance in eastern Ukraine, the death toll has climbed. As of Tuesday morning, nearly 40 people, including four children, had been killed in the attack. Another twelve were taken to hospitals. A death toll of up to seven killed was also reported by the Ukrainian Railways. NBC News was unable to independently verify the death toll. While these figures have been reported by the government, this remains a controversial topic.
Despite the increasing casualties, the Russian military has yet to make major advances in eastern Ukraine. The country’s ambassador to the U.S. recently said that the war in Ukraine has forced the country to build more military hardware. One of those weapons is the Bavar-373 missile system, which is similar to the Russian S-300 surface-to-air missile system. The Iranian-backed Iraqi militias have reportedly been involved in this smuggling of munitions and other military hardware.
As of Tuesday, 200 rescue workers are searching for residents in the eastern city of Borodyanka. Seven bodies have been recovered from the rubble of two high-rise housing blocks. At the same time, the Ukrainian president has said the situation in the city is far worse than in Bucha. However, the Russian military has insisted that the buildings were not targeted. The Russian military has repeatedly denied targeting residential areas, hospitals, and schools. Despite the growing international outrage, Switzerland has declared its opposition to the war and said it will implement European Union sanctions.